Saturday 1 January 2011

I could just be pop’s latest fad.

Although I am not a massive X Factor fan, I tend to watch the performances and keep up to date with what's going on. After watching a results episode tonight, I was left slightly annoyed at the whole concept of the reality TV 'singers'. What annoyed me even more was Justin Bieber's miming performance. Considering the amount of fans he has, you would think he'd at least be able to sing one song. But no, he mimed his way through an awful pop song, which he obviously didn't write himself. From the way he acted and his gestures towards Cheryl Cole after his performance, you would think he was some kind of musical genius. He clearly is not. It makes me wonder why I even bother studying music when so many people like boring talent less songs, such as his.
           I feel that the music industry is suffering for the sake of entertaining TV series. These programmes do not produce important or lasting musicians and are just made for ratings, money and that 'five minutes of fame'. Many of the people who get this exposure don't ultimately succeed because they don't have the work ethic for permanent success - their lack of technique, repertoire and craft are soon exposed. They have their moment of fame and get money because of the hype generated by the media and the tendency of the tabloid reader to follow the crowd. It just seems like bad karaoke to me, why don't any of the contestants write their own songs?
          I could go on for ages moaning about X Factor but basically... out of the thousands of people in this country, surely they could find someone better than Wagner? I could probably name at least 5 people I personally know, that would be better than all of this years contestants!
        Hopefully this phase of over-hyped and over-manufactured artists will fade within time. In 10 years The Beatles will still be listened to, whereas Gareth Gates will not be a recognised name and the only known Wagner will be the German classical composer.



However.. I am able to put up with all of that, just to be able to perve on Dermot O'leary!

No comments:

Post a Comment